Wednesday, March 11, 2015

How to Blog . . .

Blogging Instructions:

1.       For each new entry, find a section of text to which you would like to respond. Copy the text directly from the novel. Use quotation marks and include a page number.

Alternatively, you can describe the text in your own words. You'll still need to include page numbers.

2.       When using a character’s exact words, state:
o   The speaker
o   The person being spoken to
o   The situation (What is going on?)

3.       Make a text-to-self or text-to-world connection. Use the following line openers to help you with your connections:

o   I strongly agree/disagree. . .
o   What I find disturbing is. . .
o   I am not quite clear about. . .
o   Does this mean. . .?
o   I think that. . .
o   How could he/she. . .?
o   During this historical period. . .
o   In comparison/contrast to today. . .
o   I feel that. . .
o   If I were (character’s name) I would. . .
o   I wonder why. . .

4.       Then make a text-to-theme connection to that section of text.

    • The true definition of courage
    • The importance of home and family
    • The damage done by racism
    • Is there really justice for all under the law in the United States?
Read what your peers have written about each chapter. Respond to their posts.
  • Do you agree/disagree? Why?
  • Do you have a different way of looking at that section of text?
  • Did you make a different connection?

No comments:

Post a Comment